Especially beautiful cathedral dedicated to St Nicholas, situated in the heart of the city. G. Moskvich in his guidebook notes that Evpatoria Cathedral - is a miniature copy of the Hagia Sophia in Constantinople. But such a grand Nicholas Church was not right.
First temple was built by the Greeks in the late XVIII century and consecrated in the name of Saint Nicholas, patron saint of seafarers and traders. Over time it became too small for the congregation, so in 1806 built a new brick, covered with tiles. This temple was badly damaged during the Crimean War: a ruined tower, the bells are broken, destroyed the iconostasis, the church books and archives. The personal courage of the priest John Manzheley and tolerance shown by the Turkish command, was rescued church utensils, together with its iconostasis was taken to Odessa. Sam priest remained in the occupied city and kept his parishioners. Inside the cathedral, performed the Catholic liturgy. After the war, it became clear that the temple should be rebuilt because it is dilapidated and even the Orthodox population Evpatoria increased, and the temple was small. Decided to build a new cathedral to commemorate the liberation of Evpatoria British, French and Turkish troops during the Crimean War. Initiated the construction of the new church was Archpriest James Chepourin.
Ceremonial laying of the cathedral took place on July 11, 1893 with the participation of His Eminence Martinian, Bishop of Simferopol and the Tauride. A new church was consecrated on February 16, 1899 Most Reverend Nikon, Bishop Wolski. The cathedral was built next to the old church, in which all of these years were for Divine Worship.
Sorzhestvennaya a cathedral took place on July 11, 1893 with the participation of His Eminence Martinian, Bishop of Simferopol and the Tauride. A new church was consecrated on February 16, 1899 Most Reverend Nikon, Bishop Wolski. The cathedral was built next to the old church, in which all of these years were for Divine Worship.
Cathedral impressed parishioners bright finish. Paintings of domes, arches and walls of the temple belong to high school teachers Vitaly Sokolovsky and Sergei Stroyev. Iconostasis executed Florentine engraver Vannuki. Dome crowned with gilded bronze cross, created by the artist BV Edwards in Odessa. Nicholas Cathedral could accommodate 2000 people. In the temple consecrated three throne, central in the name of Saint Nicholas the Miracle Worker of Myra. In the throne of the Holy Prince Alexander Nevsky Russian regiments kept the Crimean War. In the conch on both sides of the St. Alexander Nevsky depicted Saints Princess Olga and St. Vladimir. Left throne was consecrated in the name of the apostle James, son of Zebedee, shown here in conch. On both sides of it - the faces of Saint James, brother of the Lord, and the Apostle Andrew.
In 1916 St. Nicholas Cathedral, visited Emperor Nicholas II and his family. In the church has been served and prayers of many years proclaimed the king's house and the entire Russian army.
In the years of Soviet power the church has changed more than once. Several times he opened and closed again at various times housed here is an art studio, a warehouse for storage of wheat. Because of this magnificent decoration of the cathedral was lost. And he himself barely escaped death during the Great Patriotic War: a temple did not have time to explode.