In 1899 the Greek community Yevpatoria appealed to the Duma with a request to provide land for the construction of the temple. Despite the fact that this year was consecrated the Cathedral of St. Nicholas, it became necessary in another church for the Orthodox population. In 1901, a plot of land of 600 square yards was handed over to the community free of charge. By 1907 prepared a draft of the temple, its author became a city architect Henry AL.
Church Construction began June 6, 1911, and June 30, 1918 a new church was dedicated in honor of the prophet Elijah. So, due to lack of funds unit of the temple lasted nearly ten years, and ended on the eve of a new era, when we started the persecution of the Church. The temple was built in the Greco-Byzantine style, in terms of a cross. The dome rests on the octahedral drum, each face of which ends with a pediment, decorated temples thin pilasters, semicircular arches, triple windows with stained glass. The eastern apse is pentagonal, the main entrance is decorated in the form of an arch rests on two half-columns.
Iliinskogo Three-tiered tower of the temple was dismantled in the 60's and recently restored.
After the revolution, the church remained active. Its parishioners were Greek nationals, so the power is not immediately apply force techniques. The first idea that the bell - a phenomenon unacceptable to the socialist reality, therefore, removed the bell in front of the affected parishioners. The community has decided to defend their temple, for it was sent to Moscow to the Greek consul a letter asking for help. Took the letter of the church Twenties Sawa Fedorovich Kiriakidi. This treatment led authorities Evpatoria in a rage, they accused the Greek Community of libel. In 1936 a treaty with the Greek company terminated due to the fact that the parishioners were not able to repair the building. However, the state money, too, was found, and the temple was closed.
Since its establishment until his arrest, the priest at Saint-Elias temple was Eleazar Spiridonovich Spiridonov. He was born in Evpatoria family krymskihgrekov. From 1894po in 1900 worked as a teacher in a parochial school. His spiritual mentor and good friend was a priest Jacob Chepourin, through the efforts of which appeared in the city of majestic St. Nicholas Cathedral . Jacob married the father of Eleazar Spiridonov with Ksenia Ivanovna Yankova. In 1899, Eleazar Spiridonovich was ordained to the sacred dignity Tauric Bishop Nicholas (Ziorovym). The first arrival of a young priest received in the settlement Kermenchik, Spiridonov in the family had three daughters - Vera, Mary Hope, whose father, Eleazar, educated in a religious spirit from childhood accustomed to prayer and church services.
In 1919 the family moved to Evpatoria, where by that time built the Holy Temple Ilinskij. Father Eleazar became his priest. The parishioners loved him for his gentle disposition, kindness and selflessness.
The end of 20-ies father Eleazar became friends with a spiritual writer and photographer Ivan V. Popov, who several times took off the royal family in Livadia. Remarkable man was his mother shimonahinya Yevgeny Popov. Being paralyzed, she did not complain of his fate, and deeply believed in God. From all over the Crimea came to her for advice and consolation. Many saw paralizovannnuyu mother Eugene, knelt, and then only talked about their sorrows. Shimonahinya Eugene has been prescient, for many it predict the future. In 1934 my mother Eugenia departed to the Lord, funeral, her father was Eleazar.
But there came the troubled times, the power taken up arms against the Church, many priests were sent into exile. Clouds gathered overhead and the father of Eleazar. Repeatedly interviewing him, threatened and offered to inform on parishioners demanded to withdraw his cassock. In 1937, father Eleazar Spiridonovich Spiridonov was sentenced to five years in concentration camps and sent to the Kolyma. Intolerable living conditions, hunger, cold and hard work at the mine have undermined his health. December 6 1937goda priest Eleazar Spiridonov, humbly undergone all the hardships, departed to the Lord, being attained Crown confessor.
Since the late 50-ies in the former Saint-Elias Church organized gym. Today, the belfry and the church is fully restored.
recently in the temple, a miracle happened with the temple icon of the prophet Elijah. Unknown artist depicted the prophet to the waist in his hand he holds a scroll, his face stern, his brows sternly knitted, gray hair and beard fluttering wind. When Iliinsky temple was closed, the icon was kept in the St. Nicholas Cathedral. After the temple was restored, the icon with a special love and celebration was moved to his own temple.
In 1999, the feast of the Holy Trinity sexton came to the church very early. Applying to the icon of the prophet Elijah, he saw in the morning sun on the glass which covered the icon that clearly stood out the contours of repeating the image of the prophet on the icon. On the seen sexton told the abbot, and the icon was brought to the altar. During the festive service contours of the glass became more clear, and by the end of the holiday could see the face of the prophet Elijah.
P 1999 in celebration of the Holy Trinity sexton came to the church very early. Applying to the icon of the prophet Elijah, he saw in the morning sun on the glass which covered the icon that clearly stood out the contours of repeating the image of the prophet on the icon. On the seen sexton told the abbot, and the icon was brought to the altar. During the festive service contours of the glass became more clear, and by the end of the holiday could see the face of the prophet Elijah.
Now Iliinskom temple every day at 9 o'clock in the congregation, together with the clergy make litany reading the prophet: "Holy God, Elijah prophecy, pray for us".