Living Sudak not only renovated the old temple, but also build new, because the village was in the depths of the valley, at some distance from the fortress. Local landowners have decided to build a temple on voluntary donations each year to raise funds for the content of the priest, deacon and the sexton, as well as the current needs of the church. January 7, 1819 in Feodosiya district court was presented with a plan of the church and the contract for its construction of the temple to donate not only money; 19maya 1814goda third merchant guilds Jani Lazarev bequeathed the house of a vineyard and a house in Taraktashe.
September 20, 1819 the solemn laying of the church, on the marble slab inscription: tsyn drew the attention of the king at the dilapidated state of the church, to the quake victims on Sept. 29, 1869, and the emperor has allocated money for repairs.
Holy Virgin Protection Church in Sudak remained active until 1936. In recent years, the temple served as the Holy Martyr John A. Blyumovich (1888-1938). From a young age he chose the path of serving God, have successfully graduated from the Moscow Theological Academy. Revolutionary storm parted with his son Boris, who had studied in Czechoslovakia, and then lived in Poland, to return home but he was not allowed authorities. In 1935, Father John arrived in Sudak and served in the Intercession church. He had many friends among the German colonists, the people loved him and tried to support after the closure of the temple, was no more means of livelihood. Once the sales stall gave his father John, 3 kilograms of rice. One of the local residents rebelled: store shelves are empty, and it supports the "lumpen element, in that the good woman said:" He also wants to eat ...". Friendly relations and unity of views associated with his father John and the ruling Al hiereem Porphyry (Gulevich). The priest could not remain indifferent, seeing the weakening of faith in the people, the enslavement of the spirit, the destruction of morality. His views, he never concealed. In 1937, Father John was arrested, and six and a half months spent in prison. He was charged that he had led a "fascist spy group, which also leads religious propaganda, encourages young people not to attend the Komsomol and other meeting and actively participate in religious rites." During interrogations, the priest fortitude and courage, pleaded not guilty . Father John was sentenced to death and executed April 13, 1938.
The building is closed Protection church were going to arrange a pioneer club, so destroyed the bell tower. However, soon the Great Patriotic War, Crimea was occupied by the Germans, who, in order to conciliate the population, often discovered Orthodox churches. In Sudak Church also renewed Worship. But after the city was liberated by Soviet troops in 1944, suddenly turned out that the temple is not registered, there is no priest, so he again ceased to be valid. Divine services were resumed in 1945 and lasted for almost twenty years. In 1962, the building of the temple of the Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary gave Sudak high school for the organization in its Palace of Pioneers. In the 80 years here was repairing TVs.
Only in 1990 the church returned to the Orthodox Church, and under the arch again sounded prayers. Church of the Intercession is a cross-domed building. From the north, south and west make an entrance, decorated with four columns and triangular pediments. Under the pediment over the main entrance an inscription: "Most Holy Theotokos, save us", and on both sides of the door mosaic images of the saints. The appearance of the church is simple, devoid of architectural decorations, but it may be that this is its charm. In 1996, the church appeared painting depicting the Crimean saints, its author - artist I. Sakharov. Today, the church of the Protection of the Blessed Virgin is metochion Kiziltashsky monastery.
Land ancient Sugdi carefully keeps his many Orthodox shrines have survived in the form of ruins of monasteries and temples, in the names of mountains, rivers, valleys. In the vicinity of Sudak valley stretch of Van Ai (Saint John) and Ai-Savvskaya (Saint Sava). Rocks bear the names of saints Ay-Vasil (St. Basil), Ai-Ceres (St. Sergius), where a researcher of the Crimean Christian antiquities D. Struk saw the cave and the remains of the temple. Not far from the Cape Ai-Fock (St. Phocas), archaeologists found a settlement, established in the IX century. Here are the ruins of several temples, one of them was dedicated to St. Foca, the patron of gardeners and sailors, I sat Zelenogorye fun running mountain stream Pananyan-Uzen (Holy River), originating from the ruins of the Greek monastery in the gorge of Panagia (Virgin Mary).