One of the first acquired the estate on the southern coast of Crimea Grand Duke Mikhail Nikolayevich, the last son of Nicholas I, his land occupied territory Gaspra. Here he built a small palace, the suite building, broke a beautiful park and vineyards. There was a manor and its wine cellar. Ai Todorsky estate is a good income from the sale of wine, grapes and fruit. But most importantly, this corner has become a favorite place for the whole family of the Grand Duke. It rose seven children Mikhail Nikolayevich and his wife, Olga Feodorovna, born Princess Constance. They are all preserved in our hearts warm feelings associated with the Ai-Todor: parental love, a happy carefree childhood admiration for its picturesque scenery. Each of them, 20 years later, could say the same as that recorded in his memoirs, the Grand Duke Alexander: "I and the Ai-Todor grew up together, as it were. Over the years, Ai-Todor turned into a thriving corner, covered with orchards, vineyards, glades and cut through the harbor. On the shore of the lighthouse was built, which allowed us to focus on the sea in foggy night. For us children, the bright shaft of light Ai Todorsky the lighthouse has become a symbol of happiness "
After the death of Grand Duchess Olga Feodorovna Ai-Todor was divided between her two sons: most went to Alexander, a minority - Georgy Mikhailovich. At its land Georgi Mikhailovich gave the estate, which gave the name "Charax," was the name of the ancient Roman military fortress, situated on this place in antiquity. The project NPKrasnov from 1904 to 1908 the palace was built here in the style of Swiss chalets, the suite house, the kitchen, various outbuildings, and the church. It is situated a little away from the estate, above the road.
small cross-domed church built in the Byzantine-Georgian style. Grand Duke Georgy Mikhailovich with his brothers for some time lived in the Caucasus, where their father for 22 years served as governor of the emperor. Since then, remained the love of art of the Caucasian peoples. In the design of the temple is repeated decorative element of the arch: arched niches in the corners of the building, coupled arched windows on the southern and northern sides, arched openings in the dome-Belfry. Slender octagonal drum crowned with a stone cross. Each corner of the drum is decorated with carved stone flower on a thin stalk. Church of the modest, but very beautiful and harmonious, there is nothing superfluous, everything in its place. Sam N. Krasnov proud of the temple, believing it to its success. He has described his creation: "The Church in behalf of His Imperial Highness the Grand Duke Georgy Mikhailovich" Charax "built in 1908 and finished finished in 1912.
famous Venetian artist A. Salviati produced mosaics for the church. Unfortunately, the fragile mosaic has not survived to this day.
church was consecrated in the name of the Transfiguration and St. Nina. The name of the temple is not accidental. The eldest daughter of Grand Duke Nina suffered a severe disease, diphtheria. Four-year old girl helped physicians City Homburg in Germany, making a successful operation.
Church tradition says that the holy Nina was born in Cappadocia in the family of devout Christians Her father, a relative of St. George, went into the desert. Mother, a sister of the Patriarch of Jerusalem, was admitted to dyakonissy. Childhood girls took place in Jerusalem at the temple of the Holy Sepulcher. There she was brought up by a pious old woman, who often talked about Georgia (Iberia). Once in a dream, Nina was the Mother of God, who commanded her to go to Georgia and to educate its residents light of Christian faith. At the same time Our Lady has given the cross, woven from vines. Awoke, Nina saw the cross in his hands and convinced of the truth of the vision. She went to Georgia, settled there in the royal vineyards and prayer heal the sick. Nina turned to Christ of the Georgian king and his family. The king built the first Christian church, soon the whole of Georgia adopted Christianity. Then Nina went to Kakheti and turned to Christianity Kakhetian Queen Sofia. For these feats church glorified her venerated as a holy Equal of the Apostles, that is likened to the disciples of Christ - the apostles. St. Nina died peacefully 27 (14) January 335 years on this day the Church honors her memory.
Grand Duke Georgy Mikhailovich was the father of two daughters, Nina and Xenia. After the revolution, the fate of Prince formed tragically: he was shot in Vologda. But his family, who was in the Crimea, was able to escape.
years passed. The former estate of Great was the sanatorium "Dnipro". Fortunately, the building survived the former manor and the church of St. Nina. Temple, though it lost decorated mosaic icons, now restored, it once again held the service.
Back to the list of Orthodox shrines Yalta