Cathedral of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God is different from St. Catherine Church of simplicity and austerity of forms. Not burdened with many architectural elements, the temple seems easy, graceful, tending to the sky. This impression is created semi-circular end walls, thin graceful columns on the corners of the building, dome, reminiscent of a Russian soldier helmet, light drum with ten arched windows. Above the entrance of three interconnected arches, the two sides - have windows, and in the middle part - temple icon.
History of the Kazan Cathedral is closely linked to Toplovskim monastery. Count Nikolai Fedorovich Heyden monastery donated his dacha "Kafa" in Feodosia, that is arranged courtyard of the monastery. Residents of the city in 1892 allocated a plot of land 689 square yards next to the cottage for the construction of a temple in memory of the miraculous rescue of the royal family at the train crash about 17 ber 1888. But funds for the construction of the temple was not, therefore, the Baroness Maria Petrovna Frederick, maid of honor of the Empress, and Martha Stepanovna Sabinina donated a portable church, which was previously in the Southern Coast estate Castropol. October 22 the church was consecrated by Archbishop Martinianom in honor of the great martyr and healer Panteleimon.
In 1890, the benefactor Toplovskogo St. Paraskevi-EVSK monastery Count NF Heyden donated the icon of Kazan Mother of God.
This icon appeared miraculously in Kazan after the capture of his troops of Ivan the Terrible in 1579. Nine-year-old girl had a dream in which she was the Virgin and ordered to dig up an icon with his image. At the direction of girls icon found in the ground under the furnace, where it was hidden by Christians from the Muslim Tatars. The Virgin is depicted holding the left Bogomladentsa, who represented not seated, but in a strictly frontal pose, his figure is depicted on his knees. The Icon solemnly carried to the church of St. Nicholas, where she became famous healing saints, in Kazan on the site of appearance of the icon was founded a convent. Memory of the Kazan Icon of the Theotokos is celebrated on July 21 and November 4.
From the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God, which was in St. Petersburg, the Kazan Cathedral, made the lists. One of such lists handed down to the family of Count NF Heyden. In honor of the miraculous deliverance of the royal family in the train crash in Borki Count sacrificed a family relic Toplovskomu Paraskevievskomu monastery. The Icon, decorated with silver and gold, pearls and precious stones, solemnly brought to the Crimea. Residents appealed to Theodosius Holy Synod with a request to bring an icon of religious procession and to leave the city from 17 October to 22 October. Permission was granted, and each year the icon of the Mother of God procession carried from the monastery of Theodosius. October 16 icon arrived at the monastery courtyard, and the next day it was solemnly transferred to Alexander Nevsky Cathedral . There, the icon of the priests was met with an icon of the Sign of the Blessed Virgin. It was a festive day for all residents of Feodosia, even revered Virgin of the Tatars and asked for her health. October 22 as solemnly icon returned to the monastery.
At the turn of the century, in 1907, at the Theodosia Compound Toplovskogo monastery instead of the wooden church built a stone cathedral, which was dedicated in honor of Our Lady of Kazan Mothers in dashing revolutionary years, the temple was looted and empty for a long time. Divine services were resumed in the Kazan Cathedral in 1943 and since then has not ceased. In the fifties, the temple updated with the active participation of the Archbishop of Simferopol and Crimea St. Luke (Voyno-Yasenetsky), he held a solemn service in the cathedral.