Sevastopol - the legendary hero city - its rich historical past, pictured in numerous monuments, among which are many temples. In the central hill rises Vladimir Cathedral - one of the main attractions of the city. Even in 1825, chief commander of the Black Sea Fleet and the port Admiral A. Greig (1775-1845), requested permission to install a monument to Imperial on the ruins of Chersonese - the place where Prince Vladimir was baptized. Architect KA Ton (1794-1881) developed a project of the monument, the cathedral. In 1842, Admiral MP Lazarev asked not to build a cathedral on the ruins of Chersonese, and in the center of Sevastopol, because at that time in the city were few Orthodox churches, and get to the Chersonese was far away. His wish was fulfilled, and to begin preparatory work. But in 1851, Admiral MP Lazarev died, in memory of his services have decided to bury the chief commander of the Black Sea Fleet in the crypt of the cathedral on the site of the future. Construction of the cathedral began in the summer of 1854, but was interrupted by war. Before boarding the enemy succeeded in laying the foundation and build a basement. During 1854-1855, the defense died admirals VA Kornilov, V. Istomin, P. Nakhimov, is buried next to their teacher and MP Lazarev, so still unfinished cathedral became the burial place of admirals.
construction of the cathedral resumed in 1858, but for another project. Its author was the architect AA Avdeev, while he lived in Sevastopol, and was engaged in construction of the church of St. Nicholas in the Brethren Cemetery. At the same foundation of the temple dome built using elements of Russian-Byzantine style. From the outside mounted four slabs of black marble with the names of dead admirals and the dates of their deaths. The lower church of St. Nicholas was consecrated on Oct. 5, 1881, the top - in the name of St. Vladimir - in 1888.
Cathedral became a monument to the heroes of Sevastopol Defense 1854-1855 period. Graves joined the four admirals common tomb, is a giant flat black marble cross, on the four sides of which were written the names of bronze and date of death. In the middle of the tomb glowed golden cross, entwined with laurel wreath and surrounded by the inscription NIKA, which means "win." Later, along the northern and the southern facade of the cathedral were buried: PA Pereleshin, P. A. Karpov, MI Defabr, VP Schmidt, IM Dickov - participants of the first defense of Sevastopol, SP Tyrtov , GP Tchuchnin, MP Sablin - Black Sea Fleet Commander, IA Shestakov-managed marine ministry in the 80 years of XIX century.
In 1912 there was a tragic event: the mutiny on the battleship "St. John Chrysostom." Roman's father insisted on personal confession of all the sailors who had been sentenced to death. All night he confessed and received communion. Using his authority, did not allow the introduction of the sailors of the secret police, did everything possible not to hit innocent. Then the priest could not assume that after so many years, these events will affect his own destiny. In 1918, militant revolutionary sailors decided to do away with the priest. But he learned of the villainous scheme, managed to leave for Moscow, where he became rector of Intercession Cathedral on Red Square. The authorities did not like the work of the father of Roman, they arrested him 15 times, but soon released. In 1930, the family father drove into the street, helped the spiritual children - have moved into a small bungalow near Moscow. But in 1931, his father Roman was arrested again on charges that he had reduced his conversations revolutionary activity and godless sailors in 1918, the sentence - 10 years in a concentration camp. In 1936, Roman's father was sent home very sick and exhausted. In 1937 he received the monastic tonsure with the name of Joseph and a few days later he died. The tomb of the Confessor Church of Christ comes the suffering, get help and spiritual support. In August 1999, with the blessing of His Holiness Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Alexy II, honest svyaschennoispovednika Roman relics were found and moved into the temple of the Protection of the Mother of God on Mount Lyschikovoy, a part of their store in St Volodymyr's Cathedral.
Until 1917 the cathedral was kept at the maritime department. Divine services were held there until 1932, then the temple was closed. The building of the cathedral, first put the workshops Aviation Building Society, then store the political directorate of the Black Sea Fleet. The Cathedral was badly damaged during World War II and began to recover in 1966. In 1972, St. Vladimir's Cathedral became a branch of the Museum of Heroic Defense and Liberation of Sevastopol. In the late 80-ies in the Vladimir Cathedral began restoration work. The restorers managed to restore the temple of his former appearance. The newly recreated a wonderful marble floor and wall covering. Entered in the temple above the altar read:
Hsieh House of God, the Father of his creation.
Hsieh House of God, the Son is approved.
Hsieh House of God, the Holy Spirit to renew.
Glory to thee, the Holy Trinity!
above the entrance depicts a picture of the Last of the Court, the southern - the angel with a candle, recording the names of people who came to the temple to pray. Above the heads of believers at the dome - the Lord and many angels.
October 19, 1999 Cathedral of the newly consecrated, and it began to hold worship services. In the Vladimir cathedral is a rare icon of the Mother of God "Reigning" and "The Inexhaustible Chalice".