On the northern side of Sevastopol Brotherhood cemetery is a memorial. Here are buried the defenders of Sebastopol, died during his first defense. Memoirs of participants in those events allow us to see how committed burial. There was no lavish ceremony and sounds of a funeral march - a quiet singing of prayers the priest, escorting the dead to rest. In one tomb were buried a hundred people, and immediately dug next to those who give their lives tomorrow.
At the top of the cemetery hill Sevastopolians decided to build a temple-monument in honor of the victims in the heroic defense of 1854-1855 years. Temple laid September 5, 1857 and elevated to folk remedies. The author of the project was architect AA Avdeev, who managed to find him an unusual architectural form - a truncated pyramid. 27-meter temple is visible from afar.
the top of the chapel is the belfry, which is crowned by a large granite cross with embossed wreath in the center. Outside the temple four rectangular protrusion: the western side - the porch, to the east - the altar. Dyakonnik and the altar are placed separately from the altar section, in niches, so they were placed in the ancient temples. The temple is faced with marble slabs engraved on dark names of divisions, regiments and navy crews, the time of their arrival in Sevastopol and the number of deaths. In the temple are cast bronze door, over which placed the mosaic image of the Blessed Savior. On the east wall in the tympanum of the pediment of the mosaic image of the Resurrection "Vost legion zde, he made a sketch of the artist M. Vasilieva Zhalive in the ceramic workshop in Paris.
Inside the temple are four arches, located opposite one another, give it a cross. On the walls - mourning the boards on which are written in golden letters the names of officers who died in Sevastopol. Total of 943.
temple walls are painted by famous artists AE Karneeva, MN Vasiliev, and AD Aitovchenko, the image of Christ created a fax. Bruni. But after several years of painting became deteriorate from moisture, then it was decided to replace it with a mosaic, an exact copy of the former painting. Mosaic commissioned in the famous studio wizard A. Salviati in Venice. Marble iconostasis was made by drawing AA Avdeev sculptor's studio in Carrara V. BONANTE. Decorated with fine decorative carving, he is the ornament of the temple.
the same time the works on the improvement Fraternal cemetery, the townspeople put in order the graves, broke the track, around the church planted trees and shrubs, which are specially brought from the Nikita Botanical soda and Odessa kennel. Around the cemetery built stone wall with iron gates on the sides of which put the gun since the Crimean War. Before the main entrance of the project Avdeeva two houses were built in the Gothic style. Here were the soldiers, veterans who had followed the order of the cemetery. And here was the perfect order, Fraternal Cemetery is always visited by many people, grateful to those who gave their lives in defense of Sevastopol.
During the Great Patriotic War, the cemetery has suffered greatly: to destroy many monuments, fell a cross, formed cracks in the walls, crumbling expensive mosaic with Christ's face, the tracks are overgrown with weeds. Restoration of the monastery cemetery opened in 1971. Sevastopolians cleared the area, the architects began to restore the temple: rebuilt the shattered upper part of the chapel, put a cross updated paintings.
In 1989, the church of St. Nicholas resumed worship. Today, church-chapel - one of the most visited temples of Sevastopol. Of the different cities of Ukraine and Russia are flocking here by believers to worship the precious relics stored here. In the temple is a particle of the relics of St. Luke's confessor, Archbishop of Simferopol and the Crimea. In 1992, of the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra in Sevastopol brought relics of St. Clement, Pope of Rome. Simferopol and Crimean Diocese shared this priceless gift from Italy. In response, in 1993 in Sevastopol from the Vatican, brought relics of St. Nicholas of Myra. They were solemnly brought to the St. Nicholas Church. This carefully preserved relics of one of the most revered saints - St. Sergius of Radonezh and his parents passed on the blessing of Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Alexy II. And in 1995 the church of St. Nicholas with the blessing of Metropolitan of Kiev and All Ukraine Vladimir relics were transferred to 97 saints honored in the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra.